Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday 4 November 2012

Info Post

"He got to sit in the front last time," Nathaniel said, shoving Graham out of the way.

As the two of them were busy pushing and pulling for their right to ride shotgun, Madison slipped through to claim her spot in the front seat.

"Mom!!" they complained through closed windows. "She always sits there!"

And so it went day after day until I started them on a rotation.

Now the argument is about the order of the rotation. Nathaniel always insists that we have it wrong, Madison says that she's right, and frankly I'm never concerned enough to keep an accurate count.

Whether we're talking about car seats, cookies, or who took the last cracker, they're consumed with keeping track lest they find themselves with one crumb less than their siblings.

One day I sat them down for a talk. It was time to learn a lessen in humility.

"The Bible tells us that the first shall be last," I said. "So if you always insist on being the first here on earth, you won't be the first up in heaven."

Well, guess what happened the next day? We couldn't get the kids out of the van. They took this principle a little too far when each of them insisted on being the last kid out.

Sounds petty doesn't it? But you know what? There's rarely a day when I don't see adults acting much the same way.

Take this for example... if I write an article on wives joyfully serving our families you can bet that someone will leave a reminder in the comments that this must go both ways. On the flip side, if I mention the important role of a husband, I'll get the same thing.

I can't help but feel that we're placing love on a scale. We're more concerned that it might tip one way or the other than we are about loving in the best way we know how.

Jesus tipped the scales big time. While we were yet sinners--lying, stealing, cheating, self-centered sinners--He gave up His life. He took the weight of our sin upon Himself and died in the most horrific way that we might have life.

Love gives up it's right to be right and steps down so that others can shine. It is not self-seeking.

So what does this look like in the heat of an argument? I'm not saying that you shouldn't communicate your frustrations with your husband. By all means do! What I am saying is that real love gives and keeps giving without expecting a return on the investment.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. ~ 1 Corinthians 15:5, NIV
When you really think about what those words mean--keeps no record of wrongs--we see that this attitude closes the door on resentment.

If I were to pin point the one thing that led me to almost destroying my marriage it would be that I was keeping a record of wrongs. And the very thing that transformed my marriage to the place it is now it would be that Michael didn't keep a record of wrongs. While I was at my very worst he gave me his best.
For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.~ Romans 5:7-8
You are loved by an almighty God,



Visit Time-Warp Wife on facebook: Click here

If you would like to have Time-Warp Wife delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here: Subscribe to Time-Warp Wife

Pick up my book, The Good Wife's Guide: Embracing Your Role as a Help Meet

P.S. Check out our new six-week marriage series, "Uncommon Love: 6 Steps Toward a Beautiful Marriage."


In participation with: 

TheBetterMom.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment