Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday 9 December 2012

Info Post

It was about fifteen years ago, our children were still quite young, and like most parents we thought that a piano might do them some good. Who knows, we thought, it might prove our kids to be super human prodigies or at the least be a great shelf to house pretty candle holders and family photos.

And so we started talking about it. But mostly we talked about the fact that we couldn't afford anything bigger than a Walmart special. Not unless we lived on bread and bologna for a year or two, and so we decided to wait on the Lord for supply.

The funny thing with supply is that God doesn't always meet our level of expectation. Sometimes it's a no, and other times He'll exceed it beyond anything we could have imagined for ourselves. But one thing I know for sure--He always has our best interest at heart.

When my sister told me that a friend of her's was giving away their upright piano, I was eager to take a look at it. But I have to be honest with you. Free wasn't all that appealing when I saw the condition of it. The paint job (or stain if you can call it that) was a thick layer of black/brown not to mention that it was terribly out of tune. I guess I expected to see something more along the lines of the piano I grew up with.

In any event we thanked them with a smile and three hours later my husband and a few strong men hauled it into our living room where they placed it across from the sofa. It sat there until I was ready to take it on.

I don't know what it was that drove me to do it, other than temporary insanity, but one spring morning I woke up, took one look at the piano and decided to refinish the wood. I had taken on small projects before but nothing of this magnitude. The thing was, I figured, it couldn't possibly look any worse.

With tools in hand I got to work, stripping and sanding layer after layer until I discovered it's worth hidden beneath years of neglect. It was nothing less than a vintage, burled-walnut upright piano. With each stroke of my hand it returned to the beautiful piece it once was.

God could have sent us a brand-spanking new keyboard with all of the bells and whistles, but rather than sending us "easy" He gave us a treasure complete with life lessons that teach us the value of hard work.

Looking back on it now I can say, "I get it Lord. I understand the parable of the piano You gave us, and how it relates to our marriage."

Neglecting to care for each other more than we cared for ourselves, wanting to take more from our marriage than we were ready to give, neglecting to build one another up with our words, and failing to lean on God's wisdom more than our own are the layers of stain that built up over time. One by one they piled up on the other concealing the beauty of our covenant. It was unrecognizable not to mention we were out of tune one with another.

That is until something incredible changed the way I look at marriage and the way I look at grace. That was the day we woke up and got to work restoring our marriage. That is also the day we began to see the beauty of new life emerge. With each stroke of forgiveness, understanding, communication and grace it returned to the beautiful covenant that it once was.

Praise God that He loved me enough to seek and to save me when I was lost.

What about you? Are there a few rough patches in your marriage that you should begin to sand out?

Let's look at some practical ways we can restore the beauty of marriage. I have a few thoughts in mind.

  • Build each other up with our words. 
  • Listen and consider each other's thoughts.
  • Forgive one another as God forgives you.
  • Encourage communication but put down the weapons of warfare.
  • Spend alone time together even if it's at home after the kids are asleep. Make time.
  • Exercise humility one to another. 
  • Be understanding of each other's differences.
  • Pray together and lean on God's wisdom. Trust Him with your future.
  • Be willing to give more than you take. 
Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. ~ Ephesians 3:20-21

You are loved by an almighty God,



Visit Time-Warp Wife on facebook: Click here

If you would like to have Time-Warp Wife delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here: Subscribe to Time-Warp Wife

Check out my book, The Good Wife's Guide: Embracing Your Role as a Help Meet

0 comments:

Post a Comment