Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 20 August 2012

Info Post
Roll Kuchen with icing sugar on the side
I got together with friends today, and as we were sitting down for tea we decided to bake a batch of Roll Kuchen which is a German word for "Roll Cookies." This recipe has been past down through our family and it's very popular among the Mennonite women in Manitoba. Eating Roll Kuchen with watermelon in the summer is a family tradition I won't soon give up! Yum!!

You know what I love about traditional recipes? So often they are made with ingredients that I already have on hand so I can be spontaneous with my friends. I love that! Roll Kuchen requires few ingredients, and my guess is that you'll have it on hand too.



Christy brought her daughter Sammi over so I let Sammi wear my favorite apron. Isn't she cute?! 


Sammi helped me roll and cut out the dough, while Christy took care of deep frying them. 


Here's Christy and I in our ponytails frying up those babies! See how messy we are? LOL


And here's my daughter Madison cooking with Christy's son James a few weeks ago. They made Roll Kuchen too. See the watermelon in the background? It was huge!


And here they are sizzling in the pot. Once they are deep fried, they remind me of doughnuts, but because there is no sugar in them they aren't as sweet.


Finally, here's Deb being a goof for the camera. She helped by cleaning up the kitchen with us, being the photographer, and tasting the finished product (it's a tough job, but someone's got to do it right?) 

Roll Kuchen

4 cups of flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
1 tsp. salt 
1 cup of sour cream
4 eggs. 

Cooking oil

Serve with: 

Watermelon, syrup or icing sugar

Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. You'll need to get your hands in there. Flour the counter top and knead the dough on it's surface for a few times until it is smooth--not sticky. 

Roll out the dough and cut it into 2 x 4 inch strips. Put a slit into the center of each one to prevent them from puffing up too much in the center. 

Heat oil in a pot or deep fryer (I use about 1/2 a bottle in a pot) Add the dough, turning to brown both sides. Remove when they are golden brown and place on paper towel. 

Like I said before, most people eat them with watermelon and some like to serve them with syrup. What I've started doing is mixing a little icing sugar and serving it on the side. Then my guests can drizzle a little on top if they like--and from what I've seen the icing sugar is a big hit.

You are loved by an almighty God,



Visit Time-Warp Wife on facebook: Click here

If you would like to have Time-Warp Wife delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here: Subscribe to Time-Warp Wife

Check out my book, The Good Wife's Guide: Embracing Your Role as a Help Meet

0 comments:

Post a Comment